First annual holiday gift guide
For our first annual photography gift guide I thought we would keep things simple and affordable. I know its been a difficult year for a lot of people and instead of filling this list with awesome canon L lenses we will provide our top 10 photography related gifts for under $100.
So drumroll please, our top 10 list of gifts for photographers
(in no particular order)
10. Good photography always starts with inspiration, and one thing that always inspires us in the office are some great tunes. iTunes gift cards can make great gifts for just about anyone. Check out http://www.apple.com to get a gift card
9. Got light? One of the best ways to improve your photography and get creative is with off camera light. One of our favorite lights are the good old Vivitar 285’s. Under $100 these lights are awesome for quick on location shooting. You can get them on Amazon for about $80
8. Even though this site is devoted to digital photography we do still love film for certain images. One of our favorite cameras is the cheapest camera I have ever bought and have had many of these over the years. Its a classic in the art world, the Holga. For under $30 you can pick up one of these great medium format cameras and have some fun. Check the Holga out on amazon here:
Holga 120N Camera
You can also get it with flash for only $45.00
A gift guide wouldn’t be complete without a few books to get you inspired and focused, here are a couple we have recently read that were great!
7. Chasing the look book by David duChemin
This is a great e-book all about how you really think about the shot. Its a good read and only $5! Yup, just $5 you really can’t beat that deal even on Black Friday!
6. The E-Myth Revisited. This is another great book that I have recently read. It gives you a lot of good insights into running a small business and how to make them really survive. It shows you why most small business fail even when they were started from a passionate person who loved what he/she was doing.
5. Apple Magic Mouse . This mouse is just too cool to have been left off this list. It has multi touch capabilities so you can scroll up and down with just a flick of a finger. The same Multi-Touch technology first introduced on the revolutionary iPhone comes to the mouse. It’s called Magic Mouse, and it’s the world’s first Multi-Touch mouse. Click anywhere, scroll in any direction, and swipe through images on its smooth, seamless top shell. It works wirelessly using Bluetooth, so you don’t have to worry about cables or adapters cluttering your workspace.Apple Magic Mouse
4. Joby GP2-E1EN Gorillapod Flexible Tripod for Digital SLR Cameras. The Joby GP2-01P Gorillapod makes taking digital photos more fun than ever. Designed with self-timer photography in mind, the Gorillapod lets you mount your camera just about anywhere you want so that you can include everyone in your automatic shots. All you need to do is use the universal 1/4-20 screw to attach your camera to the standard tripod mount, then wrap the three flexible segmented legs securely to a nearby tree branch, fence, park bench, or anything else that’s convenient. Say goodbye to holding your camera at arm’s length to take a photo of yourself and your friends–now you can be free to pose however you like!
3. SanDisk4 GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card. You can never have enough memory cards and if you are shooting video now with a DSLR you are doing to need cases of these cards. I have used SanDisk cards for years and have found them to be very reliable cards. The speed of the Extreme III is very quick also, not as quick as the IV cards but priced so well!
Many professionals work in less than ideal conditions, and that’s why SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are built to perform in the most extreme environments and temperatures, from -13 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. Extreme III media are rigorously temperature, shock, and vibration tested, something you’ll definitely appreciate whenever you find yourself shooting and storing pictures in harsh environments, extreme temperatures or at high altitudes.
Extreme III memory cards also feature SanDisk’s exclusive and innovative Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing (ESP) Technology for the fastest speeds and highest performance. It means that you are getting the fastest read/write speeds available — an amazing minimum 20MB per second sequential read and write speed.
2. Car Travel Power Adapter – If you shoot on location having something to plug in your laptop or battery chargers can save a shoot. We always keep one of these in our car and if we are ever on an extended shoot and batteries are getting low this comes in so handy. Or at the end of the day downloading your cards and reviewing your images but your laptop battery is going low, no worries. This little guy is like a traveling power source and even has a USB port to charge your iPhone!
USB port to charge USB compatible devices such as cellphones, GPS, MP3 players & many more
300 watts of surge capacity, 175 watts peak power, 150 watts continuous power. Utilizes ICC Technology: Low Vehicle Battery Auto Shutdown
Includes complimentary “A” to “Mini-B” USB cable. Adjustable Flex Neck to suit all vehicles
Provides power on the go for Laptops, Portable DVD Players, Digital Cameras, GPS and more
1. And last but certainly not least my favorite tools for my business… the iPhone. I don’t want to start a iPhone vs. Blackberry war but love, love, love my iPhone. It keeps me connected with my business, is a great way of showing people slideshows and photos to people while you are out of the office and just all around rocks. For anyone you know that doesn’t already have an iPhone, the original 3G phone is still sold at apple for only $99. http://www.apple.com
Lastly one thing that I didn’t include but is another great source of artistic inspiration for the photographer on your list, coffee. Whatever brand you prefer is OK with me, but a good old starbucks giftcard always make a photographer smile (at least this one). And if anyone out there wants to send me over a coffee feel free to 🙂
Coming soon our iPhone app gift guide for 2009, check back later for that one!