Today Adobe launched the next version of Lightroom in a free public beta. Lightroom 5 is available to try out as a beta for free until it expires on June 30, 2013. I’ll cover all of the new features in detail over the next few days so stay tuned for more. In the meantime here is a quick breakdown of some new features available in Lightroom 5.
Lightroom 5 beta offers photographers and enthusiasts many new features including:
- Advanced Healing Brush allows customers to heal imperfections and remove distracting elements
- Upright tool analyzes an image to automatically level horizons and straighten objects like buildings to correct a keystone effect
- Radial Gradient tool creates off-center or multiple vignette effects
- Smart Previews allow customers to edit images without needing the original raw file
- Video slideshow enables customers to combine still images, video clips and music in a creative HD slideshow
- Upgrades to the Book module enhancing the ability to create, customize and order elegant photo books using a variety of tailored templates
Download and install Lightroom 5 beta here. . What are you looking forward to trying out in Lightroom 5? Let me know in the comments below.
As with any beta release of a software use this at your own discretion. Lightroom 5 beta will install alongside your current installation of Lightroom, so you don’t need to worry about uninstalling an older version. As a good practice with any Beta software I always only work on a copy of my original files. To be on the safe side if I want to edit a clients shoot in Lightroom 5 what I will do is create a copy of all the RAW images and import that copy into Lightroom 5 to play around with. You end up with double the space but it’s a good precaution in the rare case that a beta software doesn’t freak out and delete your files.
If you want to make sure and not miss any of our articles get them delivered to your email box by signing up for our alerts here:
If you like our articles remember to share them on Facebook, Twitter or +1 them on Google. I appreciate you spreading the word to your photo friends! Also remember to always start a conversation by leaving a Facebook comment at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.